A Relais in Umbria and delightful farmhouse residence with just 9 rooms a surrounded by an estate of over twenty hectares in the vicinity of the ancient town of Amelia, on the border between Lazio and Tuscany. A privileged destination for a refined holiday, to enjoy a unique experience of a peaceful stay in the countryside.
In a natural setting of uncontaminated beauty, surrounded by mountains and luxuriant woodland, the elegant residence lies on a hillside which dominates pastures, fields, olive-groves, orchards and oak-trees. The view extends beyond the ancient church and the medieval dovecote tower which complete the estate, to open out over the cathedral of Amelia in the distance.
At Tenuta del Gallo we practice the art of hospitality, in a way that combines familiarity, discretion and elegance. A friendly, welcoming attitude is part of our family history, with its intact southern roots and the memories of feasts and banquets that were once celebrated in the family gatherings. We wanted to bring here this way of welcoming, so that our guests could feel at home, in a private and intimate atmosphere.
The décor and furniture belong to our family, handed down from generation to generation. We love beautiful things, old furniture and Flemish paintings, silks and brocades, four-poster beds and Persian rugs, marble and stucco, ornate ceilings and fireplaces; we love roses and hydrangeas, fountains and Florentine vases, so we decided to bring here everything we love, to love it even more and share it with you.
At Tenuta del Gallo you will also experience waking up and falling asleep with the singing of birds, and you might discover a hoopoe that nested in the trunk of an olive tree, right next to your dining table.
Here we consider the respect for nature as one of our fundamental principles. We have photovoltaic panels, solar panels and a water purification system, and we do our best to preserve this unspoiled breathtaking environment, so that every year, when spring comes, the hoopoe, the ladybugs, the fireflies, the goldfinches and the bees can renew the life and beauty of our Italian countryside.
When you arrive, please ring the bell by the main gate, which is kept closed, just like in a private house, but we always leave the entrance door open. You will be welcomed by the non-formal and relaxed smile of our family members.
What they say about us
- Isreale - Herzliyah 9.2 4 aprile 2013 A beautiful building, in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by rolling hills and green fields. Inside the building a treasure trove of beauty and art, comfortable and luxurious, good dinner.
- Anonymous-Swizerland 10 4th March 2013 Le cadre en pleine nature, une ancienne villa de maître parfaitement rénovée, une collection d'objets et de livres anciens à portée de vue. Le personnel compétent et serviable.
- Cobi- Isreal 10 15th December 2012 The place is unique and skilled professional staff of the family feeling.
- Gambero Rosso - Guida I Ristorani d'Italia 2013 80 points November 2012 Spending a few hours in this place, or rather, a weekend, you not only will enjoy a relaxing break in fascinating and quiet rooms but also will have a dining experience among the best in the province. Many proposals tasting, for every budget and every need (bonus), but the menu, seasonal, always gives interesting insights thanks to the creativity of the chef. Acceptable value-added, the raw materials of the best choicest, the vegetables form the own garden, the extra virgin olive oil of "the house", bread fesh pasta desserts and ice cream made in-house. In spring time: foie gras with raspberries, quail eggs with truffle scorzone and crispy bacon, noodles with bacon of goose confit tomatoes and shavings of pecorino cheese, noodles with wild asparagus, pork shank with beer, loin of crispy pork. In the end, hazelnut mousse with heart of gingerbread and crème liquorice brulèe with vanilla ice cream. Curated and comprehensive wine list, with Umbrian companies and interesting national references. Professional and attentive service, well orchestrated by Marco Di Modugno. Elegant surroundings and atmosphere (bonus). Do not forget to reserve a table.
- Bibenda - Guida I Ristorani d'Italia 2013 3 jisses November 2012 Situated in a charming Relais with comfortable rooms, a beautiful garden and an inviting swimming pool, this restaurant offers genuinity, taste and gastronomic wealth. Wine list focused on the region.
- Barbara - Roma 10 12th September 2012 The welcome, the great location and the exceptional cuisine.
- Reza- Roma 10 11th September 2012 It 's really a beautiful place ... It is no an exaggeration to say that it’s perfect... unique setting with the hills that surround the estate ... rooms are spotless and very tastefully decorated... advice: have dinner in the restaurant ... just excellent ... high level wine list and selection of liquor...
- Rosita - Amsterdam -- 10th September 2012 “Excellent food and stunning views”
This year we visited La Tenuta del Gallo for the third time. We received a warm welcome from the owners Sylvia and Marco.
The location is amazing, the building is very well restored. Every little detail has been thought about, like atmospheric lights in the evening on the 20 hectares property. Or the charming two small green houses to store the roses and lemon plants during the winter. As the property is large you have a very nice view on the park and hills from the lovely swimming pool.
La Tenuta del Gallo has nine rooms, so it is never overcrowded. Some of the rooms can be entered from outside the building, and there is also a seperate building with suites/rooms with a nice little terrace in front of it. To enter the property you pass a gate with video surveillance, your car is parked secure. Talking about driving, the last 500 metres is unpaved. La Tenuta del Gallo earned a high rating this year in the Gambero Rosso, for the first time. The chef cooks really wunderful. All ingredients are fresh and of high quality. Mostly produced by themselves. A light lunch is also possible if you decide to spend your day at the pool. We really enjoyed our third stay and we can highly recommend this place.
- Maria - Roma -- 7th september 2012 “...really very nice...”
Kindness, discretion, courtesy and quality ... in a farmhouse elegantly renovated ... nestled in a charming location ... a lovely suite ... this is what we found when we arrived at the Relais ... the best way to celebrate my birthday ... thanks.
- Diego -- 31th August 2012 Absolute relax in a landscape far away from the stress of the city. Highly recommended in the warm period of the year to relax yourself in the swimming pool, overlooking at the valley and then to dine enjoying the delicious and light dishes.
- Alberto - Arsoli 9.2 22th August 2012 Excellent cuisine with dishes prepared in an excellent way.
- Anonymous- France 9.2 18th August 2012 The calm and serenity of the place, the hospitality and the warmth, the comfort of the rooms, the pool, the terrace.
- Mario - Anagni -- 18th August 2012 "Paradise"By entering in the valley at the Relais is waiting for you an angel (the hostess) that opens the doors of a paradise, where you can eat God's way, the welcome is sublime and delicate, the elegance of th classy furnishings, of food, of relations with the management, I really enjoyed, thank you!
- Anonymous- Belgio 9.6 16th August 2012 Beautiful gardens, lovely rooms, a nice pool! Good restaurant (expensive, but the price is right compared to the quality). Lovely to relax and unwind! Many attractions within a range of 80 km.
- Claudia- Grat Britain - London -- 8th August 2012 This is an exceptional place. I spent time there with my two children and we all had a enchanting experience. The esthetic of every detail is exquisite, the atmosphere welcoming and unpretentious, the food mouth-watering... and the children spent time splashing in the pool, running around the beautiful gardens and the fields, and looking at animals... From the Relais it is also very easy to visit many beautiful and characteristic locations and villages - Rome is also very close by car or by train. I recommend La Tenuta del Gallo with great enthusiasm!
- Solalparisien-Rome -- 3th August 2012 "Serein j'ai levé des bras pieux pour benir la campagne Ombrienne..."
Français installé à Rome en famille depuis maintenant deux ans, je suis tombé sous le charme de la campagne Ombrienne et de ses agroturismo ("maisons d'hotes de charme")… Disons le tout haut, la Tenuta del Gallo est le meilleur etablissement que j'ai frequenté pour l'instant, l'acceuil et les attentions pour la clientele sont excellents, à tel point que l'on se sent rapidement comme chez soi mais dans un environnement enchanteur.
… Une fois n'est pas coutume l'arrivée sur la proprièté est magique, on se sent rapidement seul au monde dans un silence uniquement ponctué par le bruit des cigales. Les chambres sont de bonne qualité avec un mobilier d'epoque voire rustique et une qualité des equipements sanitaires remarquables (vasque Jacuzzi)… La piscine a une vue panoramique sublime sur des collines vierges alentour, cela donne l'impression d'une garrigue faisant face au domaine.
Au niveau nouritture c'est parfait, tout les ingredients sont ou produits par nos hotes ou proviennent de fermes alentour. La cuisine est simple, bien presentée et de tres bonne qualité. Le choix de vin est plutot complet avec des references de toute l'Italie, on trouvera ainis sans peine un barolo un barbaresco ou encore un amarone; mais aussi des references plus modeste de Ombrie ou de Toscane. Au desserts, les sorbets maisons sont simplement delicieux…. Bref une tres bonne adresse, qui sait allier avec classe quietude, charme, luxe et tradition ombrienne.
- Diego- Noci 9.6 31th July 2012 A dreaming experience!
- Suzan- Paesi Bassi - "Elisa was here" -- 14th july2012
Great location and great food! We stayed at La Tenuta del Gallo Relais in June 2012 during our honeymoon and we had a fantastic week. The people are incredibly friendly and helpful. Our room had a nice balcony and a large four-poster bed. The bathroom had a Jacuzzi. It was very clean and well furnished. The restaurant is great. Everything is freshly prepared with ingredients mainly from their own garden, picked and eaten. They also have many good wines and can advise you in the food and wine pairing. We really liked this! The pool is beautiful with a very nice view. Perfect for relaxa and rest. The water was very cold, but resisted if you make it past the first impact. The location is very isolated, but some big cities are an hour away. Just because it is so isolated, it is very quiet. The garden is well maintained and it’is beautiful! The olive trees, fruit trees and flowers are very beautiful. We loved it! Highly recommended.
- Anonymous- Francia 10 1th July 2012 Lovely place! A true piece of paradise. The interiors are well refined, well-kept garden with swimming pool surrounded by greenery. The rooms are tastefully decorated, spacious and spotless. Discretion, kindness and friendliness of th staff, always ready to help you. Amazing cuisine, very loud.
- Anonymous- Belgio 10 12th June 2012 Pleasant stay. Very good food and good wine. An excellent service. Overall a jewel in to the hills of southern Umbria!
- Anonymous- Paesi Bassi 10 10th june 2012
Great hotel with park. Everything is dedicated to the care, perfection and beauty. Delicious food, friendly staff. Wonderful place to enjoy the beautiful Italian life in peace and relax.
- Isabelle - Paesi Bassi -"Elisa was here" -- 11th June 2012
A pearl in Umbria! In June 2012 we stayed here. Beautiful house, nice garden, tastefull dishes and peace, peace, peace. For people who want to go away from everything, wake up by the sound of birds, and for the ones who want to know how food really tastes, this is sure a recommendation. We really enjoyed!
- Alessandro - Milano (MI) 10 22th May 2012 Lovely! Really lovely.
- MarcoBA63 - Ferrara (FE) -- 11th May 2012 We have been guests of the beautiful property at the end of April 2012 by selecting a package with three nights. The building is really beautiful and will fully express its appearance in the warm season because of the spectacular pool. The only drawback (to look for): the soundproofing of the rooms, but I understand that these are restored farmhouse ... We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, by acceptance to treatment on departure, without any kind of mishap or "surprise" (which is no small thing these days). Congratulations to the managers, their food, their wine cellar. The walk, about 6 km from Amelia, worth to be done. Thanks for Everything
- Lenza84 - Italia -- 9th April 2012 The property is fantastic, well maintained outside and furnished very elegant inside (but never out of tune). We ate 4 times and all the meals were always excellent quality. The rooms are well cared and especially clean. The family management is always friendly and helpful. We had a truly wonderful Easter weekend. There will definitely be back!
- Alessandro - Rozzano (MI) 105th May 2012 The position, enviable. You stay close to many beautiful villages to visit, but at the same time you are immersed in a natural oasis of peace and relax. The facility is beautiful, every detail is chosen with care. The style of furnishings reveals great taste. The staff is always attentive to every need and knows how to spoil you, showing unmatched kindness and gentleness.
- Riccardo - Genzano di Roma (RM) 9.6 12th October 2011 The beauty and elegance of the estate and environment of complete relaxation.
- Claudio - Roma (RM) 10 29th June 2011 Tranquility, cordiality.
- M. Buitelaar - Paesi Bassi - "Elisa was here" -- 8th August 2010
A worthy honeymoon!
For our honeymoon we have focused on Tenuta del Gallo, in Umbria. It was a bit hard to find, because it is hidden from the main road, but once achieved it is virtually impossible to beat! We went one day in a neighboring village, for the rest we did nothing more than to laze under the umbrella, enjoying a magnificent view and a fabulous weather... Thanks to the the great chef (that uses fresh vegetables, herbs and flowers from their own garden) every meal was a pleasure! In the following weeks in Italy in fact we have never eaten so well as here! Looking for tranquility, breathtaking views and delicious cuisine, this is absolutly the winner.
- Osvaldo - São Paulo (Brasile) 10 05 ottobre 2011 It was a perfect stay
- cridani2003 - Roma (RM) -- 23th September 2011 We've been here for the last of the year and we said we would get back, because the house is beautiful and very tastefully decorated, the cuisine high level and the reception is excellent. So we went back in July and we spent a weekend that has really "recharge" the batteries. Highly recommended!
- Jelle- Paesi Bassi - "Elisa was here" -- 17th September 2011
Luxury hotel in beautiful surroundings.
Lover of peace, relaxation, luxury and beautiful surroundings? Then Relais La Tenuta del Gallo is for you. We have a wonderful week. A wonderful base for to visit the region Umbria. Close to Rome and other beautiful places. The service at the hotel is great! The food is delicious, just like the environment. Beautifully maintained and well equipped. The hotel is super clean and spacious. You imagine yourself in your own house. It lies in a beautiful area and so little tourism to mention. We have enjoyed and recommend it to anyone! The only disadvantage is the lack of internet access. If want to rest and relax for a week this is a great way.
- emanuela l - Roma (RM) -- 11 th September 2011 It 'a delightful place where you can recover your strength and makes the charging energy. The natural setting is beautiful, well kept garden and the same can be said about the construction (skillfully and elegantly restored Umbrian farmhouse) and its services to guests of both relays. The rooms are beautiful and equipped with every comfort, the infinity pool is the "gem" particularly in warm season. Food and service are very cared and quite varied. It 's also a good starting point for visiting the main cities and towns of Umbria.
- SeattleTraveller - Seattle (USA) -- 6th September 2011
I was on holiday in Italy and wanted to explore Umbria for the first time. I chose Tenuta del Gallo due to its centralized location in Umbria. I look forward to returning due to its beauty, warmth and amazing food. The owners, Marco and Silvia, were extremely gracious and always helpful when it came to suggestions of where to visit or where to eat outside the property. It is obvious that they have poured their soul into this wonderful jewel in the countryside.
The food alone would draw me back to this casa. The chef produced the most fabulous pastry creations at breakfast (along with the usual fruits, yoghurts, etc) that there was really no room for the cooked breakfast which they also offered. Dinner was a similar treat with many complimentary offerings in additions to what we ordered. If this was a restaurant in the US, Zagat woule be singing its praises.
The property itself is stunningly beautiful. Each room is decorated individually with great attention to detail. However, it is the setting which makes this property so magical. To wake up in the absolute quiet of rolling Umbrian hills and realize that you could either venture out for the day or remain poolside here and be totally content was wonderful.
This is a perfect place for anyone wishing a feast for all senses.
- mariateresa z - Ginevra (Svizzera) -- 28th August 2011
"This was like paradise!
”It was by accident that we ended up there. Just because we went to a wedding in the area. Found the place on internet and had frankly no expectations.
We spent there 4 days and really had a break that seemed much longer.
We had almost every meal at the relais and never stopped enjoying the food of the young but talented chef.
As for outdoor we enjoyed sunbathing, swimming in the pool, and having an excellent prosecco before meals just looking the hils, the green, and the olive trees all around.
The silence made us sleep like babies and had really a good time with the friendly and super efficient couple managing and owning the relais.
Also invited friends for dinner one night and they were very pleased with the atmosphere, food and wine (the landlord loves his wine!!! so no bad surprises here!).
We had a rented car but did not use it much since the place was just stunning. Mind you we live in switzerland so we are spoiled with nature and peace but we really loved this place. Not to be missed!
Luca&Maria Teresa, Geneva
PS I am fun of tuscany but this location was really much better! As a relais the crowd was not posh, mostly foreigners, but discrete and quiete...frankly ideal.
What to say we will certainly go back and soon!!!
- Anonymous- Francia 10 16th Agust 2011 Everything was perfect: the reception, the calm and serenity of the place, the cuisine, the staff. We will return.
- Anonymous- Paesi Bassi 9.2 13 th August 2011 Relax in abeautiful surroundings with great food and perfect wines
- vantZand - Baarn (Paesi Bassi) -- 28th July 2011 Dear Marco & Silvia, we've had a great time at your Tenuta! The place is amazing, the food was excellent and you where so helpful! Thanks again for everything and we will definitely come back sometime! Regards, Erik & Manon
- Vroom - Gorinchem (Paesi Bassi) 10 24th July 2011 Relax, great wines and food, swimming, reading. Ancient cities and nature around the corner. Last year we were for 4 days in the hotel. Blessed experience.
- Randafunk - Roma (RM) -- 12th July 2011 I stayed in this Relais with the whole family, the place is phenomenal and beautiful, valuable furnishings, a bit expensive rooms to sleep. The menu is worthy of one of the best italian chef like Marchesi, fresh food, simple and nice Mast stay here at least one weekend a year to breathing a completely different and unique atmosphere.
- just_me_Roma - Roma (RM) -- 2th July 2011 I premise of not having slept in the structure but only a guest of the restaurant. The location is lovely, a stone house in the total silence of the countryside of Amelia. It's well furnished with value furniture and great attention to detail. But it is a restaurant, all I said would have little meaning if it is not accompanied by good food. In this case the food is excellent! Do not expect the typical dishes of the restaurants in the countryside, the local ingredients here are cleverly reworked by the young chef in very special dishes but always in tune with the rural context. Even an ordinary salad, called No. 21 for the different herbs that compose it, it becomes something very special. It's not cheap you will spend not less than € 50 for two courses and a dessert but it is definitely a quality of cuisine very different from all other places in the area. It is managed by the owners and high standard.
- orlandochiapp - Terni (TR) -- 2th July 2011 The place is wonderful, we arrived in the evening for dinner and it appeared like an illuminated castle in an enchanted valley. We ate very good and special things, drinking a good wine. Of course, we did not pay chip compared with the prices in the area (45 euros per person), but it's worth and we will come back. I really recommend. To visit the amazing wine cellar.
- maurita70 - Roma (RM) -- 2th June 2011 Splendid resort in the green Umbria located about 1 hour from Rome where you can forget stress and city chaos, unspoiled paradise with attention to every detail. Beautiful garden, swimming pool, not to mention all of the interior decorated with great taste and style. Definitely to try the restaurant, a cuisine with great potential, good choice of high quality and raw materials wisely worked, wide selection of menu items to please even the most demanding palates! Excellent breads that are all hand made by the chef. I must mention the delicious pastries and petit fours to finish prepared by the chef to accompany a good coffee... Experience truly unique ... Must try ....... We will come back soon!!!
- Anonymous- Italia 8.8 17th May 2011 It's a corner of paradise situated on top of a hill overlooking a green valley. The building is well restored with the style of a manor houses. There is a great attention to details of furniture, the rooms are comfortable. Well maintained pool, landscaped garden. Excellent restaurant.
- Anonymous- Italia 9.6 30th April 2011 Simply superlative: lovely place, lovely hosts, excellent food, great care for detail and choice of materials, beautiful antique furniture.
- Reset2010 - Roma (RM) -- 25th February 2011 We happened by chance in this wonderful relais located in Amelia , that looks like an ancient castle overlooking a valley of woods and meadows. We have been welcomed by the owners with elegance and familiarity, they made us immediately feel pampered and at ease. The hotel is furnished with unique antiques, our room with four poster bed and terrace is the most romantic I've ever seen. Attentive, accurate and polite service, extremely professional and warm at the same time that respond to all requests.Incredible restaurant: unique dishes, raw materials of excellent quality produced in part by themselves (good extra virgin olive oil). There is also a good wine cellar. We spent a wonderful weekend. We recommend to everybody this hotel, which also costs very little compared to what it offers and can be reached in less than one hour from Rome. It's worth taking a walk also just for a lunch.
- Nanimo224 - Roma (RM) -- 21th February 2011 We discovered this hotel-restaurant almost by accident travelling through the hills of Umbria, we saw a curious sign with directions to the Hotel. Following the road for Macchie (Amelia), we ended up eating a food of high quality in a stunning, unspoilt nature, a little piece of pleasure. Illuminated pool and house, well-kept garden also in the smallest details, impeccable hospitality. Despite the grandeur of the place, the courtesy and the professionalism of the staff made us feel really welcome guests (a rare thing with two small and lively children!) The dinner was magnificent, for starters they offred us bread sticks and homemade bread, amuse bouche and prosecco. Try the crispy canneloncino stuffed with artichoke and goat cheese fondue and a fillet of Chianina beef with truffle. A tasting of goat cheeses and pastries (also offered) finally .. excellent wine we choosed, a Sagrantino di Montefalco. Price / quality very good, so we always come back very happy! Absolutely a 'memorable discovery!
- LondonPaul1234 - London (GB) -- 10th June 2010
Great location, great hotel, great time! If you want the ultimate quiet and relaxing break away from it all, this is the right place for you. This is a family owned and run hotel, with only ten rooms, and comes with that personal service that you would expect of such a small business. Friendly and accomodating would be the two words I would use to describe Marco et al who make you feel very welcome. The in-house restuarant, was very quiet, served great food, and at a reasonable price, considering the quality... note although being a rural hotel the food is more sophisticated city resturant than a rustic Italian Trattoria - although many of the ingredients are either grown on-site or locally. Our room was tastfully decorated, and had a lovely uninterupted view of the surrounding hilly Umbrian countryside. We will definately, be returning for a romantic mini break in the future... if you are considering a quiet Italian get away to relax this should definiately be on your short-list!
- Filippo06 - France -- 30th December 2009
Absolute countryside, no noise at all, ideal to take a holiday off the noisy city.
Family driven like an Agriturismo, with the treat of a 4* hotel!
The food is great and the staff is extremely kind and available.
It is about 1hr drive from the main places to see in Umbria.
Definitely to be reccomended.
- BuzzInRome - Roma (RM) -- 3th December2008
Tenuta del Gallo is a brand new place, family managed. It is at about 10 minutes by car from Amelia and is at the outskirts of a little, unsignifcant village - Macchie di Amelia. It is luxuriously furbished and has an amazing swimming pool with an incredible view of the surrounding hills. Service is very good. There is a restaurant that we didn't try. It is close to Rome, about 1h20 mn. Perfect if you want to relax in an isolated, beatiful place. Not ideal if you want to see Umbria: Amelia is nice and Narni (at about 25mns by car) even better but they do not represent the best the region has to offer (such as Perugia, Gubbio, Assisi, Spoleto, Todi etc...).
Score based on the reviewes by Booking.com
The reviewes are written by the guests after their stay at Relais.
Write a review about
La Tenuta del Gallo